Sunday, May 24, 2009

Shots Fired



Everybody's talking about it. I wasn't even sure it happened when I saw it during the live broadcast for I thought my pre-caffeinated brain was just playing tricks on me even though they replayed it a couple of times and I had to rewatch the late-night replay of the game--the closing minutes, at least-- just to make sure it did happen. And yeah, it did.

From Adrian Wojnarowski's column:

“Whatever happens,” James yelled to Williams in the huddle, “I’m going to come get the ball.” Whatever options fall apart, James insisted to his point guard that he would find a way to get open and promised him, “I’m going to knock down the shot.”

Turkoglu had made an immense shot over Pavlovic to take a 95-93 lead, but he made one grave mistake:

He left a second on the clock.

He left LeBron life.


Great article and all and I liked his storytelling about that final second (I felt compelled to watch it again, dammit!) but there's just this eerie feeling I get when he gets to the part where he paints LeBron James in a messianic way. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan (until he heads to New York, which I hope never, ever happens) but there's just something eerie about it that I can't explain.

And of course, comparisons to His Airness' The Shot is inevitable (it celebrated its 20th anniversary a couple of weeks ago, I think) but I'll leave it to more knowledgeable basketball pundits to debate on which one is better or whatever. All I know is that they're both incredible, unbelievable, awesome shots that one can't help but watch over and over and over...

So, Cavs in 6.

4 comments:

Etchie said...

better luck next year, pre.

tiyak, jump-ship na si LeBron. haha.

Rommel said...

The better team won. And at least it's not Boston. hehe.

Oo nga, baka mawala na si LeBron sa Cleveland sa 2010. Mapunta sana sa Bulls. Anywhere but NY and Boston.

Etchie said...

team ni Llanes, laglag sa semis pa lang hehe. pang-asar ba.

will try to score some tickets as soon as they open it up to the public. nga lang, baka mahal.

Rommel said...

Boston proved to be a one hit wonder. Hehe. Chicago pa lang nahirapan na, overtime madalas yung games nila. Yung game 6 umabot pa ng double overtime.

Will the magic work this time against the Lakers? Haha.