Thursday, April 30, 2009

Massive Moore Interview

Excerpts from Part 3 of a six-part Alan Moore interview on Newsarama:

"In Watchmen, we were suggesting, I think, that reality is perhaps a web of tiny coincidences and resonant images and little motifs that we hardly notice – this web of meaning that may be all glued together with repetitions of dialogue and slight similarities of image."

And...

"And I think that it’s now time to move to new ways of thinking to help us understand this situation in which we find ourselves. I know that Watchmen is being talked about a lot at the moment because of this ridiculous film, but these are ideas that are 25 years old. I think that I started writing it in 1984. That’s why it was set in 1985, because I had the idea that it would be all out and finished in 1985. But it was 25 years ago.

I think that the world moves at an unforgiving pace, and that this has accelerated. I don’t think 25-year-old ideas, no matter how adequate they were at the time, apply to our current situation – either my 25-year-old ideas or anybody else’s."

And about tying in tv shows The Wire and Homicide: Life on the Streets into the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:

"That is the beauty of the League! We can tie in all of this stuff. Hey, it’s Baltimore! There might have been some relative of Police Chief Rawls or perhaps Det. Munch who was involved in manning the Baltimore Lunar Base."

No comments: