Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Japaholic

Eiga Sai's here. It's usually held during the first quarter of the year that when said first quarter went pfft and no announcement regarding the filmfest has been made, I thought it was discontinued. Glad I'm wrong. Contemporary Japanese films are the focus once again and aside from Takashi Miike, I'm not really familiar with a lot of the films and directors.

And Miike's film in the festival--Shangri-La--is a bit odd. Miike usually deals in ultraviolence and perversity (sample Audition and Ichi the Killer, if you can stomach the grisly violence) and from what I've read, Shangri-la is a feel good movie. Then again, it's a revenge film and calling it a "feel-good film" could be a relative way of looking at it.

As for the other films, Blue Spring sounds interesting and according to film critic Noel Vera, Harmful Insect is good.

Check out the Eiga Sai page for sked info and film synopsis. And as usual, admission is free.

3 comments:

Etchie said...

IT! you're tagged, pre!

Hehe.

Rommel said...

My first reaction was, "What the hell you talkin' 'bout?" Then I read your blog and... uh... I guess I can do that. But then I'll have to kill everyone who reads it. Hehe.

Etchie said...

hehe.

mala-spiral-esque Sadako ba?

implanting the virus through reading your blog? hehe.

(spiral's better than ringu, i tell you).