Sunday, October 30, 2005

Back from the grave

Recently learned from Dean Alfar's blog about Fully Booked's forthcoming 1st Philippine Graphic/Fiction Awards. It is a writing contest and it's set to launch within the next few days. It has two categories, one for comics and one for prose genre fiction (scifi/fantasy). As Mr. Alfar reported, author Neil Gaiman has pledged $15,000 for the top prize. Or prizes since I reckon that it would be divided between the two categories. Was talking with Etchie about it earlier in YM and he said that winning just a thousand of that pot prize would be enough for him. So I guess if he joins and wins the contest, I'll leave him with the thousand and run off with the rest. Hehe.

Needless to say, I'm sorely tempted to join in the comics category. While exact details of the contest are yet to be released and the deadline's mid-December, there's no harm in preparing for it this early. I'll have to go through my notebooks and review some of the ideas I've scribbled through the years and have been gathering dust and see which ones are fit enough to be brought back so that my brain could start playing with them again. And of course I can always invite my muse over, hogtie her and threaten to reenact with her one of the deadlier scenes in Deadwood unless she gives me a dozen brilliant ideas or two.

I've been in a bit of a roll the past few days in the writing department. Started writing a script for a short comics story that I'll submit to a minicomic anthology and started polishing and fixing up a prose story that I stumbled upon one of my older notebooks.

I just hope that this momentum won't crash into a dead halt and instead pick up steam in the next few weeks or so.

No comments: